You'd never notice, would you? I mean, I'm being very modest about it and all, but why don't I just leave this here:
I've been nominated for a Liebster Award! It's an award to encourage new(ish) blogs, that's passed on from blogger to blogger.
It's a friendly networking kind of thing, and I'd like to thank the fabulous Donna of Whole Food Bellies, who nominated me.
Whole Food Bellies is a great food blog, full of healthy recipes that I know my family and I would love too 🙂
Once nominated you are asked to do a small favour in return:
- You must continue paying it forward
- Thank the person who nominated you and post a link to their blog on your blog
- Reveal 11 facts about yourself (so people get to know you better)
- Answer the questions of the blogger who nominated you (so people get to know you even better)
- Now, nominate other fellow upcoming bloggers that you feel deserve the award
- Give your nominees a list of questions they have to answer
- List these rules in your post and inform the nominees
So, here are my 11 Facts About Me:
- Like Donna, I also have a scar on my leg from a barbed wire fence, but I can't remember why I was climbing it so I probably don't have the 'chased by a crazy sheep' excuse 😉
- I am a total chocolate addict (I can just copy this one from Donna!) I'm also a total coffee addict - (this one too!), but adding tea and wine (in a good way!)
- I've got a cat called Spot, just like Data on Star Trek: The Next Generation. Someone left her in our garden a few years ago, so we have a cat now.
- I've been a Dr Who fan since the 1970s (I'm also an old git 🙂 )
- I had my youngest son quite late in life (40s). There was one other mother my age in the hospital baby group, and now we're walking buddies
- My middle son is kindhearted, likes to do science fairs and wants to be a doctor.
- My oldest son is a child actor, and he's just landed his first professional role. Ok, so that's not really a fact about me, except that I'm a very proud Mum, and get to see a lot of performing arts things
- I had every teenage boy's dream job of testing video games for a year.
- I'm a Brit living in America for a while, and it's a great chance to see a bit more of the world. So I love going on road trips - the less planned out, the better!
- And I always think I like camping, but it's not very comfortable! I do like being outside though, and I love going for walks and exploring.
- My favourite quotation is a Deep Thought by Jack Handey:
If you ever drop your keys in lava, let them go, because man, they're gone.
My questions from Donna:
What inspired you to blog?
I like building websites, and I like writing 🙂
Old School 🙂
- At first it was a lot like early word processing programs (adding codes to text files)
- I loved it from the start.
- I still do prefer 'text view' when I write my posts.
- tiled gif graphic backgrounds like this:
- lots of tables
- red and blue dot gifs
- and .wav sound effects (like this)
All the good stuff!
And I thought it was fun to link them together as randomly as possible.
The internet was so fun in those days 🙂
Anyway, this blog..?
I'm writing this blog as a fun way to keep myself doing something I don't like (dieting) by combining it with something I do like (sci-fi and, up to a point, cooking). But it's fair to say I like the blogging and sci-fi a whole lot more than the dieting!
Who is your favourite blogger?
Donna of course 😉 Thanks for nominating me!
Other than blogging, what is your favourite hobby?
I'm a very slow knitter, and I love doing art projects, but haven't done either for a while. I have 3 boys, and my youngest is a toddler, which makes it hard to leave any project half done and find it again in the same state!
What’s something you have always wanted to learn to do but haven’t had the time yet?
Bend my children to my will, ha ha 😉
I'd also like to learn proper in-depth web development and programming: I got a degree in it a few years ago but I feel like that just scratched the surface. Writing is high up on my list too. And I like going to art classes, but haven't got around to it for a while now.
If you could hop on a plane tomorrow, where would you go?
What is your favourite meal of all time?
For a night out, I love Indian or Italian food. For the kids, there's a vegetarian restaurant near my parents that does the best kids meal I've ever seen, with lots of healthy, colourful finger foods and hummus to dip things in.
But for my best meal ever, that's a longer story: When I was a kid, my family sometimes went camping in Brittany, in north west France, which, if you come from south west Britain, is a lot less fancy than it probably sounds to Americans 🙂
Anyway, we usually went to a big campsite that was close to a really nice beach where we'd hang out and play all day. About once a week, a little van would visit the campsite and you could pre-order dinner from them. It was always mussels marinieres, beef bourguignon and frites (the kind of long thin French fries you actually get in France). And all of it was wonderful. So I think that would be my favourite meal ever: fantastic French food, served from a van, at a campsite next to the beach. Lovely!
Favourite city to visit for food?
Ok, so this isn't a city, but we once went wine tasting when we lived near the Napa Valley in California, and that was lovely. It's not just wine either: they have gourmet food shops where you can taste little bits of things too: nice cheese, bread, olive oil and salami. I'm not sure of the distances involved there, but I'd love to go somewhere where you could combine wine and food tasting with cycling, so you wouldn't be drinking and driving, and hopefully wouldn't buy too much stuff to carry either!
And of course I'd love to go to Paris, although we did go there once and it was very snowy, so one of my kids is convinced that France is really really cold. The other one peed on the Eiffel Tower (ahem). What can I say? It has a lot of steps. Sorry France.
Do you have a favourite post on your blog? If so, what is it and why is it your favourite?
I usually prefer to write less personal blog posts, but some of my favourites have been about family outings and activities, eg 'Making Monster Easter Eggs', and 'Can you take a Baby to Comic Con?' I also had a lot of fun writing 'Geek Fandoms by Politics.' I just like to keep things nerdy and not too personal.
A couple of other posts are most popular with visitors (or at least Google): 'Star Wars Cakes: Chewbacca Chocolate Cake' and 'Black Lotus: the $100,000 Magic Card.' My son and I just looked up the Black Lotus out of curiosity, but hey, maybe someone will buy it someday and I'll get the commission! 🙂
What’s the one thing that can cheer you up after a lousy day?
A nice glass of wine! My kind of lousy day usually involves too many things going on at once, so it's nice to really space out for a while. I often go out for an evening walk around my neighbourhood. I also listen to those YouTube videos like 'Rain on a Tent' and 'Ocean Waves with Meditation Music,' and I collect them on a Pinterest board:
If I'm not too tired I sometimes check for any funny hashtag games on Twitter.
Otherwise, I love getting into a good book or TV show.
What is your favourite book?
The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I love how light hearted and funny it is, even while making some good points about modern life and human nature.
I'm also a huge fan of Stephen King. I'd love to say his book 'Needful Things' made me buy less unnecessary stuff, but it probably didn't.
If you could invite anyone to dinner who would it be?
It would have to be all the world's hungry people, plus Jesus for his crowd-feeding abilities, in the TARDIS, because it's bigger on the inside, with some Star Trek food replicators. Then I'd probably go somewhere quieter. Leave Jesus to it: he seems like more of an extrovert anyway.
Who I'm nominating:
- Anissa from Musings of a Mad Woman: interesting writing blog (she also has a natural / herbal health blog)
- Leanne from Geekie Mom: new geeky blogger writing some interesting posts about family life
- Amy from Yummy Bites by Amy: love her geeky bento lunches!
- Kathryn from Depths of Imagination: interesting blog by a fantasy author
- Nicolette from Decisive Empowered Resilient: success author with advice for writing ebooks too
- Maiys from Maiys Kitchen: interesting Japanese food, with some inspired by anime
- Cori from Cori's Big Mouth: I love her travel tales
- Jessica from Nerdy Science: lots of science fun for kids
Here are my questions:
- What inspired you to blog, and what do you like about it?
- Do you have a favourite post on your blog? If so, what is it and why is it your favourite?
- What's the best blogging or writing tip you've learned?
- Other than blogging, what is your favourite thing to do?
- What’s something you have always wanted to learn to do but haven’t had the time yet?
- What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
- If you could hop on a plane tomorrow, where would you go?
- What is your favourite book or movie and why?
- What’s the one thing that can cheer you up after a lousy day?
- If you could invite anyone to dinner who would it be and how do you think it would go?
- What's your favourite quotation?
Tag, you're it! Congratulations, have fun and good luck!